Old HBC Blog

check out the up-to-date musings of pastor on a wide range of subjects

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Reflecting on Murder


Murder - the very idea strike a cord with many of us. If it doesn't, I encourage you to seek counseling immediately. I was watching the local public access channel and a fellow was talking about the commandment: "You shall not kill." Aside from the fact that he stated the original Greek means "murder" (the commandments are in the OT, so they would have been in Hebrew), he made a very truthful statement about many Christians flippant attitude toward word politics.

We often say, "Oh, I would have just shot them" or "I know the solution to that problem and it weighs about ___ grains" without thinking about what we are saying. Understand me. I live in New Hampshire - "Live free or die." I wouldn't have second thoughts about defending my family with lethal force. But I feel we are often far too flippant in our attitudes toward the lives of others.

With comments being made about foreign leaders that involve taking them out, etc, it is important for Christians to rise above the pettiness of this world. We are not free with our tongues. In fact, James admonished us: "The tongue is a little member, and boasts great things!" [James 3:5] We are not our own to vent our opinions when they conflict with the commands of God.

I don't like murder. When I was 15, my father's best friend was murdered in cold blood by a unstable man who had a fight with his girlfriend. When it happened, I wanted to kill him. Today, I'm not so sure. It is human government's job to punish the guilty, not my personal responsibility. I have to trust those in authority [Romans 14] and let God take over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home